Domestic Hardwood - Red Oak
- Select & Better: 4/4 x 6′-7′, 5/4 x 6′-7′, 8/4 x 6′-7′
- FAS: 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 10/4, 12/4
- 9″ & Wider FAS: 4/4, 5/4
- 8″-10″ FAS: 4/4
- #1 Common: 4/4
- Heartwood is a medium reddish brown color with a decent amount of color variation. The grain in relatively straight but has a coarse texture. The pores of the lumber are open enough a person can blow air from one end of the board to the other, assuming the grain is straight enough.
How well does it work?
- Red Oak works relatively well, but results may vary based on the density of the wood. Machines and glues well, but may require pre-drilling for nailing as the lumber may split. The lumber can be stained and polished to a good finish.
Seasoning and Durability
- The lumber is slightly resistant to non-resistant to decay and liable to insect attack. Red Oak is considered unsuitable for exterior use.
Red Oak or White Oak?
- Red Oak will have more open pores with smaller rays in comparison to White Oak. Heartwood of Red Oak is non-resistant to decay while the heartwood of White Oak is considered to be good for rot-resistance.
- Red Oak may cause eye and skin irritation, though severe reactions are uncommon.
- Flooring, cabinetry, furniture, panelling, and plywood.
- * Stock is currently available in limited quanities. This generally means we have less than 500 BF, or the stock is either all narrow or an odd length.