Basic Specific Gravity (oven dry weight/ green volume)
- Central Europe and the United Kingdom.
- Heartwood is a pale pinkish-brown cream color. It is common to steam the lumber which gives the wood a reddish-brown tone. European Beech has a fine to medium texture, with closed pores and a even, straight grained structure. Flat sawn material has a plain looking appearance.
How well does it work?
- European Beech machines well and has an overall good workability. The lumber can be compared with Hard Maple in many ways. Pre-drilling is necessary for nailing. European Beech glues easily, stains well, and takes an excellent finish.
Seasoning and Durability
- The wood is perishable and liable to attack by the common furniture beetle.
Other notes on European Beech
- Steaming European Beech helps with the wood’s tendency to move, warp, or twist. The lumber is considered an all-purpose wood for many European woodworkers due to its price and availability. When European Beech is quarter sawn it will show a silvery fleck pattern.
- Cabinetry, furniture, panelling, instruments, turnery, butcher blocks, and work benches.
- * Stock is currently available in limited quanities. This generally means we have less than 500 BF, or the stock is either all narrow or an odd length.
Copyright © 2016 Downes & Reader Hardwood Co., Inc.