- Select & Better: 4/4, 8/4
Basic Specific Gravity (oven dry weight/ green volume)
- West Africa, mainly Gabon and Cameroon.
- Heartwood creamy colored, can vary with darker streaks resembling zebra stripes when quarter sawn. Texture is coarse with open pores. Grain is normally interlocked.
How well does it work?
- The lumber can be difficult to plane or surface due to the interlocked grain. Extra care is needed to prevent tear-out. Zebrawood has good gluing, sawing , and finishing properties. The wood may also have an unpleasant odor when being worked on.
Seasoning and Durability
- Heartwood is durable and resistant to termite attack.
Other notes on Zebrawood
- Zebrawood can also go by the name Zebrano. Lumber available is normally quartersawn.
- Zebrawood has been reported as a sensitizer, with the most common reactions being eye and skin irritation. Severe reactions are considered uncommon.
- Furniture, cabinetry, turnery, decorative veneers, and tool handles.
- * Stock is currently available in limited quanities. This generally means we have less than 500 BF, or the stock is either all narrow or an odd length.
Copyright © 2016 Downes & Reader Hardwood Co., Inc.